The Vascular surgery department at MGM Hospital Vashi is well equipped to
do all procedures on arteries and veins by open, endovascular and hybrid
methods 24 x 7.
The state-of-the-art advanced machines required for Vascular surgeries like
MRI/ CT/ DSA are available which can deliver healthcare when it is needed in
Vascular surgery deals with preventive and corrective procedures on all the
blood vessels in body except the heart and the brain.
MGM offers comprehensive care with a multi-disciplinary team of vascular
surgeons, physiotherapists, nephrologists, neurologists, cardiologists,
diabetologists, orthopaedic and other teams to deliver when it is needed the
Arterial Bypass Surgeries
- Using autogenous vein or engineered graft is the commonest vascular
surgical procedure performed by vascular surgeons. Critical lower limb
ischemia (decreased / absent blood supply to the legs) is the most frequent
indication for bypass procedures. Without vascular interventions limb and
sometimes life loss is imminent.
- Procedures commonly performed for lower limb ischemia:
- Aorto-Iliac/ Femoral Bypass Graft.
- Femoral Popliteal Bypass.
- Infra Popliteal (Below Knee) Bypass/Distal Bypass procedures can be
performed down to the arteries in the foot.
- Other procedures include Visceral Arterial/Venous (Renal, Mesenteric, Portal
Vein) bypass procedures.
- Bypass to upper limb, neck arteries.
- Cervical, First Rib Resection for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
- For various peripheral aneurysms including aortic, popliteal, visceral arteries.
All aneurysms should be repaired, depending on their size, before they cause
symptoms. We perform both open and endovascular repair of these
aneurysms (EVAR/ TEVAR).
Endarterectomy (Carotid and Others)
- Involves removal of diseased intima (inner most layer) of the artery. Carotid
artery endarterectomy for prevention of stroke is a common procedure,
usually under local anaesthesia; it is very well tolerated with excellent
- It is performed mostly for occluded iliac arteries. We perform this with a small
groin incision without opening the abdomen. This technique can also be used
for superficial femoral artery.
Embolectomy / Thrombectomy
- It is the removal of blood clot blocking the artery so as to restore the blood
supply to the affected organ.
- For acute ischemia, it is needed to be done ideally within 6 hours of onset of
symptoms, for the best outcome. Commonest is in the legs, less in the upper
limbs and other blood vessels.
Diabetic- ischaemic foot management
- With the increasing prevalence of Diabetes, diabetic foot wounds are also increasing
at an exponential pace. We are the best at treating them with timely done procedures
with the help of physiotherapists/ orthotics for rehabilitation.
- Around 40% of the population suffers from varicose veins. We at MGM are well
equipped to deal with them by the latest & most efficient technologies along with
hybrid procedures. Venous ulcer management remains our key service.
Deep vein thrombosis
- Sudden leg swelling due to blood clot in the veins can be dangerous and needs
urgent referral for timely management with medications/ intervention to dissolve the
clot. We have the advance technologies to dissolve and suck the clot out to prevent
long term complication of leg discoloration/ swelling and wounds.
Vascular Trauma Surgery
- Is frequently performed due to increasing road traffic accidents. If correction is
delayed beyond 6 hours, it will invariably result in amputation.
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome / Upper Limb Ischemia
- Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a group of disorders that occur when blood
vessels or nerves in the space between your collarbone and your first rib
(thoracic outlet) are compressed.
- Usually the patients are young and procedures yield excellent results in
carefully selected patients.
Haemodialysis Access Surgery
- Patient who are on regular Haemodialysis requires venous access for the
- At MGM ,we can do the A-V fistula, A-V graft of the blocked fistula, perma-
Vascular and Related Tumours
- Carotid Body Tumours, Haemangioma and Vascular Malformations can be
treated with excellent results.
- Patients with non-healing wounds/ ulcer on the leg.
- Gangrene of the toes – treated with angioplasty/ bypass or combination.
- Varicose veins with pain in the leg or wounds – treated with laser or open
- Leg swelling – deep vein thrombosis (DVT) – treated with surgery,
thrombolysis (clot bursting medication).
- Patient needing AV fistula for dialysis or bleeding fistula.
- Trauma with cold leg/ hand and no pulse.
- Pain in the hand with diagnosed cervical rib.
- Diabetic foot wounds.
- Mini stroke – for carotid endarterectomy or stenting.
- Aortic aneurysm or dissection diagnosed on CT scan or ultrasound.